Violence against women is no game.

The media release below was forwarded to me by Women’s Forum Australia. The issues raised within it are so concerning that I have decided to reproduce it here in its entirety (with their permission). I would urge my readers to consider how they can lobby against the production and distribution of these types of games.

Media Release

Government must act immediately to end access to downloadable gang rape game.

Women’s Forum Australia calls on the Government to act immediately to prevent access to a Japanese PC game which has as its plot the stalking and gang rape of a mother and her two daughters.

The Government communications regulator, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), must be immediately directed to identify all websites making this game available as a download and add them to the blacklist so they can be subjected to ISP filtering.

In the game, Rapelay, players direct a character to sexually assault a mother and her two young daughters at an underground train station, before going on to rape other female characters. One of the daughters is depicted as aged about 10. She sleeps with a teddy bear.

Although blacklisted on online shopping sites eBay and Amazon.com two weeks ago, the sexually explicit Japanese animation is available on a number of websites offering the full version of the software to download.

Developed by Japanese production house Illusion, the object of the game is to turn the women into sex slaves – without getting them pregnant.

Should one of the female characters become pregnant, she must be forced to have an abortion.
One site describes RapeLay as “a new type [of] molesting game with more beautiful 3D images… players can get the new excitement like never before.” RapeLay can be played in multi-player mode – used mainly for the gang-rape sequences.

Any game which endorses and possibly incites the criminal act of rape should not be allowed to be advertised anywhere.

The complacency about p*rn animation depicting crimes such as rape and pedophilia has to end.

Melinda Tankard Reist, Women’s Forum Australia.

10 Comments

1. Claire Clements

That is unbelievable. I seriously can not comprehend how such a game has even been thought up and given money to be produced in the first place. This is shocking and sickening. What can we do it about, Danni?

2. This is outrageous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have jumped online and reviewed one of the ways to VOICE that this is not o.k. You can email ACMA directly using the following address: online@acma.gov.au

You will need to state that you are an Australian resident, provide them with a link to the disgusting content of this vial game and state why you believe the material is offensive and should be prohibited. This is definitely an easy and necessary task.

Below is a link you can include for ACMA to refer to:
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/rapelay

They need to be inundated with emails of genuine concern because this is not o.k.

3. Tristan

This is truly sickening.

If you go by the result of the Simpson child p*rn*graphy case, where the guy was convicted for possessing images of Lisa and Bart simpson having s*x, then this software must be illegal, and possessing a copy on your harddrive it would also be illegal.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/simpsons-cartoon-ripoff-is-child-p*rn-judge-20081208-6tmk.html

(that URL won’t work unless you replace the * in the p*rn with an “o”)

The technology exists to track downloads from these sites by Australian users, so surely the Police have the power to find these people and arrest them. Maybe we should petition them.

4. Well done; there is absolutely strength in numbers Sonia!
    Thank you for the links above – a great, simple first step.
    I have asked Melinda to get back to us with steps WFA are taking as we will have more power if we combine forces and also try a number of ways of protesting.

Thank you to Tristan too. Based on the precedent described in the article above, yes – you would assume owning a copy of this has serious legal implications (and rightly so!).

Warning too to all who wish to comment…your comments will be rejected by Edublogs if you use words such as p*rn, hence the asterix in Tristan’s hyperlink.

5. Fran

I am so offended and just so deeply troubled that there are people in our society that would endorse and / or support such disgusting forms of ‘entertainment’ . Who would design this? Finance this? Promote it? Play it? It is all kinds of wrong.

Thanks to Sonia, I am redirecting all my ‘AAAAAARGH! energy’ and emailing ACMA ASAP!

6. Jane

I don’t know what to say.
    The pain that is caused by sexual assaults of women is deep, long lasting and tragic. To think that anyone would every promote this pain through a game is SICK!
    Keep me posted on what I can do to ensure this stops right now.

7. Claire Clements

When I told my brother about this he said maybe it’s a ploy by the government to catch serial sex offenders and paedophiles. Somehow I don’t think that’s the case but it was an interesting spin on things.

8. Melinda L

An old friend of mine told me that this game has been around for a few years now. There are other similar games available too.
    This is truly horrifying.

9. Nikki Davis

For once in my life I am speechless. Horrified is not a strong enough word. As Fran says, who are the people who even agreed to work on creating this? They need designers, developers, marketers, someone to buy the lunches and book the couriers even – are there really that many people in this world who are ok with this?

Thanks for the tip Sonia – I am getting involved.

10. Emma

ur gonna hate this song. “the internet is for p*rn” (to use ur terminology Danni :)). its from Avenue Q (the musical)