Feed on
Posts
Comments

About Dannielle Miller,
CEO, Enlighten Education
B Ed, Grad Cert (Mgmt), Cert IV (Assessment and Workplace Training)

Dannielle with Mr Kevin Rudd after receiving her Emerging Leader Award, Parliament House, June 2009.

Dannielle Miller, a thought leader and expert in girls’ self-esteem and body image, started out her career as a teacher and then quickly became a major innovator in education and student welfare. She was responsible for the curriculum, staffing and quality of learning of the English faculty of a dual-campus high school. As Students at Risk Coordinator for high schools in Western Sydney, she advised the Federal Government on funding for support programs for students at risk of dropping out.

The immensely successful Lighthouse Project was Dannielle’s brainchild. It pairs at-risk students with workplace mentors, helping them develop employment skills and discover the real-world relevance of what they learn at school. Another of her innovations was the development of an accredited Higher School Certificate (HSC) course in service learning. The curriculum nurtures students’ entrepreneurial skills while involving them in meaningful community volunteer work.

In 2003, concerned about the struggles she saw countless high school girls go through with body image and self-esteem, Dannielle co-founded Enlighten Education. Guided by her vision as CEO, the company has become Australia’s leading provider of in-school workshops for teen girls on body image, self-esteem and empowerment. Enlighten works with more than 20,000 girls each year across Australia and New Zealand, and it has expanded into the United States and Singapore.

In 2007, Dannielle was named NSW Entrepreneur of the Year. In 2009, she was deemed the country’s number one Emerging Leader in Learning by The Australian newspaper and was listed as one of Sydney’s Top 100 Influential People by the Sydney Morning Herald’s Sydney Magazine. She was nominated for a Pride of Australia Medal, in the Inspiration category, in 2011 and was honoured with an Australian Leadership Award in 2012.

With Dannielle as CEO, Enlighten Education was named the Australian Small Business Champion for Children’s Services in 2007 and was a finalist for an Australian Small Business Champion Award in Educational Services in 2010. Enlighten Education was a finalist for the 2011 Australian Human Rights Commission Business Award.

Dannielle is the weekly Channel 9 Mornings contributor on parenting and women’s issues and is regularly called upon by the media as an expert commentator. In 2009, she released her book The Butterfly Effect, which offers a positive new approach to raising teen girls. After receiving many requests from parents and educators for a version especially for teen readers, she went on to write The Girl with the Butterfly Tattoo. Both books are published by Random House, and The Butterfly Effect has been translated and published in China. Her next book for teen girls provides advice on how to have healthy relationships and will be published by HarperCollins in 2014. Dannielle is an avid blogger and has written for The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and sites such as Mamamia, The Hoopla and Feministing. She is featured in education journals, and she is a popular speaker at youth and education conferences and forums.

Contact Dannielle: [email protected]

16 Responses to “About the Blogger – Dannielle Miller”

1. Mr. Sheehy says:

Great blog. I came across it through the edublog awards, and I like the content and the design. Excellent.

2. Danni Miller says:

THANK YOU! How generous of you to take the time to comment.:) It is a labour of love.

3. Goddess says:

I’m very impressed with your work Dannielle, congratulations!

I’m the author of Goddess.com.au and the tools for the empowerment of world-wild women. Time and time again I wonder what would happen if we could learn from DAY ONE what precious and beautiful beings we were born to be…. How wonderful!

Love love love,
    Anita

4. Emily says:

Hi Dannielle,
    I am a year 12 student in Adelaide and am currently working on a major assignement for Studies of Society exploring the sexualisation of children.
    I recently viewed your interview on 60 minutes and was really fascinated with your views and opinions relating to this issue.
    As apart of my issues analysis I am required to conduct and interview. I was just wondering if I could contact you by e-mail some time next week regarding my assignment if you would be willing to answer some of my questions.
    Thank you for your time
    Emily Rogers

5. Cherie says:

Hey Danni,
    Your blogs are really great. I love the way you see things. How different it is from so many people, and I think what you are doing is really great.

Cherie x

6. Sarah Casey says:

Danni,

Wow! Well done! I adore your site – I am so pleased you’re doing this work, and I look forward to learning more about it. Excellent refererences as well.

You’ve got a new dedicated reader….

Thanks, and take care,

Sarah.

7. Ellen Miller says:

Hi Gorgeous!!

I am from Quakers hill high, and I loved all that you did today, it was great. A great day, A great speaker, A great set up all in all it was a fabulous day! I hope that you can come back next year and see us in year ten! I hope that you keep doing what you did today for as long as you can, you are an inspiration, an insight, and so many other things that I can’t think of at the moment. I just want to say thankyou, it was fantastic and I hope that I run into you again sometime!

Ellen Miller

8. Helen Jahn says:

I heard you on the Conversation Hour today (catching up with the last part on net now whilst trawling the website for you and “Get Real”!) More power to you!!! Keep it up! I have a gorgeous almost 11 year old daughter and am really worried about what seems to be going on in the teenage world. Hope to get onto your book soon- sounds great!!

9. Julie Harvey says:

Hi Danni

Do you believe in destiny – well I think that I am destined to read your book. My sister driving near Caloundra could only get 1 radio station – which just happened to be your interview on the ABC. She was so excited to hear you speaking that she came home and gave me your details and told me that I had to get this book. Then my daughter (Bec) returns from the Canteen camp last weekend all talk about Gorgeous and everything that you guys talked about. Imagine my surprise to learn that both my sister and daughter were talking about the same person. I am looking forward to reading your book, and thanks so much for the inspiration that you gave to the girls at the camp.

Julie

10. Eryn Sharp says:

Hey Gorgeous,

You came to my school, St Clare’s College the other day and I just want to thank you sooo much!!! You are an inspiration to me and a courageous beautiful person resembling an angel. Your workshop has taught me so much in multiple ways and your personal stories touched me in an indescribable way. Thank you so much for sharing them – although I bet it was hard, the outcome is something to be proud of.

Keep up the great work that you are doing. You are an idol for many women and girls, including me! Hope to see you again someday :)

Eryn Sharp

11. ava says:

wooo u girls are FAB!
    Go Fran and Danni !

12. jessica tonkin says:

hay gorgeous,

I’d lust like to thank you for coming to our school(kaleen Primary) my friends and I are so happy to welcome you to our club, sweet cheeks chocolate where we play games and we get named after chocolates we know and love!!!!!!!
    thanks for everything
    jessica
    P.S my nick name is forever yours!

13. Annalise says:

Hi Gorgeous,
    Peace Man! I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for coming to Clonard and inspiring me and everyone else to look within ourselves and know that we are beautiful. I had Selena Gomez’s song stuck in my head that night and it wasll thanks to you. You made it such a fun and enjoyable day for everyone. I used to to think I wasn’t that beautiful but now I know that natural beauty is the best and it’s what’s on the inside that counts. I am starting my three week challenge and am determined to finish it! You are an amazing woman who I am so glad to have met.

Love,
    Annalise, or you may remember me better as the girl with the peace lil miss sunshine shirt!

14. Marthe says:

Hi Danni,

I LOVE reading your blog and opinions -I came across it doing some research about teen girls. I am so glad I did! I am a life coach for teen girls in the US and you are such an inspiration/role model. Keep up the beautiful work you do!

15. Karen Kataline says:

Dear Danielle,

I’m so glad to find your blog. As I have time to read more of your writing and hopefully, read your book, I will put a link on my site. Looking forward to following you more. Karen Kataline